Monday, February 15, 2016

Activity 2-6: Evaluating my communication skills

Sometimes:
·          I give my full attention to others when they talk to me.
·         I maintain eye contact throughout a conversation.
·         I display empathy.
·         I deal with conflicts and differences appropriately.
·         I respect myself in my communications with others.
·         I minimize others' unwanted behaviors effectively.
·         I optimize others' suboptimal thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
·          I respond optimally even when I am ready to explode.
·         I deal optimally with those who complain, criticize, blame and make excuses.
·         I negotiate the best solutions with all personality types
·          I assert my needs appropriately.

Rarely:
·         I share my feelings and needs when appropriate.
·         I understand and optimize non-verbal communications.
·          I communicate my boundaries effectively to others.
·         I respect the dignity and rights of others.
·         I maximize communications with those who practice one-upmanship.
·         I respond appropriately when others are off track.


According to this communication skills assessment I walk the line of average communications.  I Rarely share my feelings and recognize anyone else’s feelings. It states I sometimes pay attention to others, display empathy and del with other people in an appropriate manner. This may be due to the nature of my current and past jobs. I have been dealing with end users for over 19 years. Frankly, I’m tired of dealing with customers and it`s getting harder and harder to empathize with them. The common themes or patterns seem to be not dealing with mine and others feelings well, and not communicating with others in an appropriate manner. I believe the best way to become a better communicator is to deal with the burnout factor first. I can possess the greatest commination skills in the world. They will count for nothing If I just don`t care. Some sites that have suggestions for dealing with burnout and having better communication skills are http://lifehacker.com/5674007/burnout-and-how-to-deal-with-it  and http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/08/14/10-ways-to-communicate-better-at-work- .

No comments:

Post a Comment